Gluten-free Gingerbread Cookie Sandwich
GLUTEN-FREE GINGERBREAD COOKIE SANDWICHES
Serves: 4 gingerbread cookie sandwiches
Baking time : 20 minutes
Cookie sandwiches are probably one of the most sickly sweet indulgent treats out there. That’s why we made this healthier, vegan version that’s dairy and gluten-free.
• Buckwheat flour : 1/4 cup
• Coconut flour : 1/4 cup
• Baking powder : 1 tsp
• Cinnamon : 1/4 tsp
• Ginger : 1/4 tsp
• Pinch of salt
• Melted coconut oil : 2 tbsp
• Almond butter : 1/4 cup
• Coconut syrup : 2 tbsp
• Flax egg : 1 (1 tbsp ground flax seeds + 3 tbsp water)
• Vanilla extract : 1 tsp
Chocolate sauce ingredients:
• Raw cocoa powder : 1/4 cup
• Coconut oil : 1/4 cup
• Maple syrup : 1 tbsp
• Roasted hazelnuts (optional)
• One Salted Caramel MiiRO ice cream
Prepare the cookie dough :
1. Heat the oven at 350F (180°C).
2. Prepare the flax egg by mixing 1 tbsp of ground flaxseeds with 3 tbsp of lukewarm water. Stir well and sit while preparing the rest.
3. Mix all the remaining wet ingredients and stir well. Add the flax egg in the wet mixture, and mix well until fully combined.
4. Prepare the dry mixture by mixing all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
5. Pour the wet mixture over the dry one and mix well using a wooden spatula or your hands until everything is combined and you obtain an homogeneous dough.
6. Line your baking sheet with parchment paper. Separate the dough into four equal parts. Form balls by rolling in your hands and shape the cookies on the baking sheet with your hands.
7. Bake in oven for about 10 minutes. When finished, let cool down at room temperature.
Prepare the chocolate coating and assembly :
1. Gently melt the coconut oil in a double boiler. Remove from heat and mix in the maple syrup and cocoa powder until perfectly combined.
2. Form the cookie sandwiches by putting a salted caramel MiiRO ice cream between two cookies. Dip one end of the cookie sandwich in the chocolate sauce and sprinkle with crushed roasted hazelnuts and allow to cool down and solidify.